French Sourdough Toast
with lemon ricotta whip, thyme-roasted blackberries & rockmelon ribbons
- 4 x 1cm thick slices of fresh sourdough bread
- 160ml full cream milk
- 3 eggs, slightly whisked
- ¼ cup Beechworth Honey’s Bee Fruity Blue Gum Honey
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 60g unsalted butter
- 250g ricotta cheese
- Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tbsp Beechworth Honey’s Bee Fruity Blue Gum Honey
- 250g punnet fresh blackberries
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp Beechworth Honey’s Bee Fruity Blue Gum Honey
- In a large bowl combine the milk, eggs, honey and cinnamon. Whisk until well combined.
- Dip the slices of sourdough into the egg mixture to coat evenly.
- In a frying pan, over a medium heat, melt half the butter then cook 2 slices of egg-coated bread, cooking for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden. Next add the remaining butter and cook the second batch of sourdough slices.
- Place all ingredients into a large mixing bowl and whisk vigorously until well combined and ricotta becomes light and fluffy.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and evenly scatter the blackberries on top.
- Place thyme sprigs randomly on top of the berries and drizzle with honey.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes until the berries collapse slightly.
- Remove from oven; allow to cool slightly.
Preheat oven to 180c.
Use a vegetable peeler to make 20 rockmelon ribbons (10 per plate).
Bee Fruity Blue Gum Honey (to drizzle).
Arrange your French toast pieces on 2 plates, top each with thyme roasted blackberries and rockmelon ribbons.
Spoon a generous amount of ricotta whip onto each plate. Drizzle with honey.
Recipe by Beechworth Honey Blog at https://www.beechworthhoney.com.au/blog/french-sourdough-toast/