Golden Honey-Basted Lamb Roast
Yield 8 Serves
This is the roast to cook when you want an outstanding result. It does need watching but it is absolutely worth it.
Perfect pairing: Bee Warm Yapunyah Honey
- 1.5 kg (approx.) leg of lamb
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons Beechworth Honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Remove lamb from refrigerator about 20 minutes before cooking.
- Combine all ingredients except the lamb in a saucepan. Bring to the boil while stirring. Remove and leave to cool slightly.
- Place lamb in baking dish and pour sauce over the meat.
- Roast lamb for about 1 1/2 hours, allowing 30 minutes per 500 g meat. Basting occasionally with the sauce. Check the roast every 20 minutes and if liquid is evaporating, add extra water or red wine. (Sauce can scorch easily.)
- Remove lamb roast to a heated serving dish and cover loosely. Leave to rest for 10 minutes, when lamb will be juicier and easier to carve.
- Heat any remaining juices in the pan to make a gravy if desired.