This recipe is a Beechworth Honey favourite! This easy-to-follow, traditional recipe will have you enjoying hot, buttery, homemade crumpets in no time at all. We dare you to stop at just one.
Old School Homemade Crumpets
An exclusive Beechworth Honey recipe created for the Lost Arts Series.
- 375g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 11⁄2 teaspoon dried yeast
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 500ml water, warm not hot
- In a medium sized bowl, sift flour, baking powder and baking soda together
- Add yeast and sugar and stir to combine
- Add warm water
- Stir well with a spoon until free from lumps
- Cover and rest for 30 minutes
- Cook in buttered rings on a low to medium heat, ideally in a non stick frying pan Note: only half fill each crumpet ring
- Remove the rings and flip the crumpets when they are nearly cooked through to briefly seal the top
Tip: Serve with butter and your favourite Beechworth Honey!