School Excursions & Activities
School excursions and activities outside the school gate provide students and teachers with a fantastic opportunity to bring the classroom curriculum alive, especially when the learning experience is unique and in a novel setting, such as the offer from Beechworth Honey.
Beechworth Honey Experience and our Bee School provide students of all age groups with a fun, interactive learning experience. It invokes a powerful sense of discovery as students explore the amazing world of honeybees, pollination and food security.
We explore the education curriculum in the following ways;
- Literacy and communications – written and verbal information on how honey is produced, and the Australian honey industry
- Numeracy – space, geometry and number of bees in the hive, quantities of honey produced by the hive, time taken to produce honey, lay eggs, etc
- Science – how a bee hive works, biology of the hive, the environment, botany and ecosystems, threats to bees
- Food studies - food production, pollination & food security, food science and food safety, cooking with honey as a natural ingredient
- History – honey production in historic Beechworth since the 1880’s, changes to the Australian honey industry over a hundred year period, the past, present and future
- Geography – distribution of honey production throughout Australia and export markets
- Careers and vocational education – working as a beekeeper, working in family business, business management, marketing, export and business development
- Commerce and business studies – family business case study, business development case study, marketing case study
- Graphic design, IT, multimedia and visual communications – interactive DVD based tour and interactive displays, design and information presentation style examples
In order to fully immerse the students in our education program we recommend at least 45 minutes to complete the honey tour, find the queen bee in the live bee hive and taste over 30 different varieties of our unique Australian honey.
Tours are available between 9.00 am and 4.30 pm 7 days a week, excluding public holidays.
Beechworth Honey Experience school visits are FREE and require no fee unless morning/afternoon tea is requested.
For further information please contact our team on Tel: (03) 5728 1433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.