- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup Beechworth Honey Traditional Honey
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 tsp salt flakes
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add a 2-3 kernels of popcorn and wait until they pop – this will indicate the oil is now hot enough.
- Add the popcorn kernels to the pop. Use a wooden spoon to evenly coat the kernels in the oil and cover with a lid. Once the kernels start popping, gently shake the pot with the lid on to ensure the kernels pop evenly.
- Remove from the heat once the popping has stopped and transfer the popcorn to a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Place the butter, honey, and ½ tsp of salt into a small saucepan over medium heat. Allow to simmer for 4-5 minutes. The mixture should thicken slightly and turn a rich amber colour. This reduces the moisture content from the mixture ensuring your popcorn will remain crunchy after coating.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and quickly pour the honey mixture over the popcorn. Using a wooden spoon, stir to evenly coat. Be careful the honey mixture will be very hot! Sprinkle the remaining 1 teaspoon of salt flakes, or adjust to your taste.
- Allow the popcorn to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. It will remain crispy for days!
Traditional Beechworth Honey
Our 375g twist & squeeze bottle is a perfect size for camping, travelling and people on the move. Keep it in the caravan, glove box or picnic basket and never be without your favourite 100% Australian honey.