Planting for Bees! (Year 5 – Year 6)
Provide your students with an in depth exploration into the invaluable role of honey bees! Discover the symbiotic relationship between bees and plants, and how we as humans can support them. Developed by our very own qualified educators, ‘Planting for Bees!’ Year 5 – Year 6 includes a complete unit of work including 11x 1 hour lesson plans with a focus on explicit teaching of concepts around bee and plant biology, pollination, and food security will provide students with the knowledge they require to undertake research and design their own pollinator friendly garden. ‘Planting for Bees!’ is aligned with the Australian and Victorian Science Curriculum.
*Shipments to WA and Tasmania will not include seeds or honey due to biosecurity restrictions.
Learning Kit Includes:
- Complete unit of work – 11 x 1 hour lesson plans
- Worksheets and assessment templates
- Supporting videos and sound clips
- 30x Bee Friendly Seed packets
- 30x Mini Honey Tasting Kits
- ‘The Honeybee’ by Kirsten Hall & Isabelle Arsenault
- Activity resources including; sand, icy pole sticks, and pipe cleaners.
‘Planting for Bees!’ provides students with opportunities to:
- Learn about the anatomy of flowers and bees to gain a deeper understanding into how pollination occurs.
- Explore the importance of honey bees and pollination for food security.
- Understand the importance of the symbiotic relationship between bees, plants and humans, how each helps the other to survive, as well as the impact of environmental factors on these relationships.
- Enjoy a honey tasting experience to explore how the nectar source creates the unique taste profile of different honeys.
- Discover what ‘bee friendly’ flowers are and how we can encourage bees into our environments.
Wheen Bee Foundation
Wheen Bee Foundation is Australia’s premier not-for-profit organisation dedicated to promoting the importance of bees in food security, biodiversity and ecosystem health, with education for people of all ages at the heart of everything the Foundation does.
You may also like
Planting for Bees! (Year 3 – Year 4)
'Planting for Bees!' provides teachers with a complete Unit of Work including 11x 1 hour lesson plans and complementary resources.
Planting for Bees! (Early Years – Year 2)
'Planting for Bees!' provides educators with a complete Unit of Work including 11x 1 hour lesson plans and complementary resources.