- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup Bee Bold Apple Box Honey
- 5 tbsp corn flour
- 2 tbsp butter (room temperate, cubed)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp salt
- 3 eggs (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup milk (warmed slightly)
- ¾ cup water (warm)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp Bee Bold Apple Box Honey
- 3 tbsp butter (melted)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Begin by making the honey custard. Mix the milk, honey and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 3-5 minutes but ensure that it does not boil. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, honey and corn flour until thick and smooth.
- Slowly pour ½ cup of the warm milk into the egg mixture and whisk continually to ensure that the mixture does not separate.
- Pour the tempered egg mixture into the pot with the remaining milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, whisking constantly until it starts to thicken. Note: This may happen very quickly.
- Whisk in the butter and vanilla extract. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours until the custard has cooled and thickened.
- While the custard is in the refrigerator, begin to make the popovers. Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, water and vanilla extract until frothy. Add the flour, salt, butter and honey and whisk until smooth.
- Place the batter aside to rest for 30 minutes.
- Grease a popover pan or alternatively, you can use a muffin tin. Place the pan into the oven to gently warm for approximately 3 minutes.
- Remove the tray, and while it is warm pour the mixture into each section until they're almost full.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 230°C, reduce the temperature to 180°C and bake for a further 5 minutes. Note: It is essential not to open the oven for the duration of the cooking time.
- While the popovers are cooking, mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a large bowl.
- Roll the popovers in the cinnamon sugar as soon as they come out of the oven. Note: if the cinnamon sugar does not stick, you can brush a small amount of melted butter over each and then roll them in the cinnamon sugar.
- Remove the honey custard from the fridge and use a whisk to fluff up the mixture. Pipe a small amount of the custard into the centre of each of the popovers or lightly tear them open and spoon the mixture inside.
Bee Bold Apple Box Honey
Apple Box Honey has a medium sweetness with delicious flavours of caramel, wood and molasses. It is very slow to crystallise and has a mild aftertaste that gently lingers. This is a honey for those that like strong, bold styles.