- 1 part honey
- 1 1/3 parts water
- fig, lemon, pears, cumquats etc
- Clean and sterilise jars and lids.
- Wash fruit, and chop if required/desired.
- Pack the fruit tightly in jars, without crushing or damaging.
- You will be able to estimate here how much of the honey and water mixture you will need to prepare. Each jar will need roughly 1/2 the amount of its capacity. Eg 250ml for a 500ml jar.
- Bring honey and water to the boil. This mixture must be hot when pouring over the fruit.
- Pour the hot honey syrup over the fruit, leaving some space at the top of the jar. Use a clean butter knife to remove any air bubbles and to ensure the honey syrup has filled every gap.
- Wipe down the rims with vinegar before you screw on the lids tightly. The hot mixture should create a vacuum seal.
- Store in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.
- Once open keep in the fridge and eat within 10 days.